I hope this email finds you all safe, healthy, and enjoying what is left of your summer break. I know that the sheer number of unknowns ahead of all of us is staggering and enough to keep anyone up at night, but please be sure to take care of yourself. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Find some time to get away from the computer and get some fresh air. We will weather this storm and come out stronger on the other side.
I am sending this email to provide you with some updates regarding District Band events for this upcoming school year. In addition to those updates I wanted to inform you that the Board has voted to cancel the Summer Meeting that would have been held at Parkview High School. Please help us out by sharing this information with all of the music educators in your school district. Also, if you are aware of any new directors, please forward their contact information to me so I can update my list. Thank you in advance.
DISTRICT BAND 2020 -
Over the past couple weeks, the MBA All-State Band coordinator was in communications with the Band VP's throughout the State in order to obtain a general consensus regarding District level events. After discussing matters with the SCMMEA Board, we have made the decision to seat a non-performing ensemble through means of virtual auditions.
It will take some time to iron out the details as to what this will look like but I wanted to make sure that you and your students were aware of this as early as possible. Please continue to encourage your students to work on the material so we can still put forth the best students to represent our incredible district at the State level! Although the MBA has not made an official statement regarding the status of the All-State Band, it is my opinion that they will be following suit.
I will update everyone on the procedures and what to expect as we work to put together a fair and efficient process.
Below you will find a few items that would normally be distributed at the Summer Meeting:
1. This is a document that I put together for those who are not familiar with the books that the All-State/All-District audition material comes from. It is a complete list of the books needed to accommodate all of your students (or at least I hope so... Please let me know if I have missed something).
All-State Band Audition Books
2. This is a list of websites that will help you through the year regarding our profession and other band-related news.
SCMMEA Band Helpful Websites
3. This is a helpful document when it comes to the 2 editions of the Arban book and the difference in page numbering.
Arban 1936 vs. 2013.pdf
4. Another helpful document if you are interested in forming a 501c3 with your Booster organization. Thank you John Devos!
Forming a 501c3.pdf
5. Lastly, here are the cuts for this year's District Band audition material. PLEASE DOWNLOAD THIS BEFORE SHARING IT WITH YOUR STUDENTS!
District Cuts Set 1 2020-2021
Please let me know if you are unable to open any of the above documents.
As always, if there is anything that I can do to help - or if you just want someone to talk shop with - I'm here!